Applied Data Science Lead (Chicago)
Are you interested in using data science to solve big and important problems in new ways like helping a green energy startup find new areas of growth, figuring out how to increase participation in vital social services, or completely changing the way that media companies interact with their viewers?
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of best-in-class proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the consultancy arm of Civis Analytics, working closely with companies, nonprofits, and campaigns to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. ADS Managers manage, supervise and mentor a team of Data Scientists to deliver analytic solutions to our clients that help inform some of their biggest decisions.
They work closely with teams across the company, including,engineering, product, legal, finance,and sales. Often they find themselves managing cross-functional teams to advise, oversee, and communicate their work internally and externally. They lead the scoping of their projects and are the face of Civis. They help grow Civis’ business through delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company.
- Manage a team of data scientists and often a cross-functional client team that provides consulting services that achieve our clients’ business goals through the usage of Civis’ services and technology.
- Partner with technical, product and sales teams to establish a strategy that accomplishes a client’s strategic goals.
- Designs the scope and analytics roadmap for clients. Manages a team through the process of solving some of our clients hardest problems defining the client’s problem, designing a solution, and delivering high-quality work
- Owns engagements end-to-end for clients that may include Fortune 500 companies, high-profile startups, and national non-profit foundations
- Grows Civis’ business by delivering excellent work to existing clients, identify new strategic growth opportunities for the company
- Develop and manage relationships with senior clients and decision makers and is responsible for all client-facing communication and work product
- Leads the research design of their projects, including statistical and data management methods, soliciting input from subject matter experts when needed
- Ensures that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission
- Manages teams of data scientists
- Travel required
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or Business
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics expertise in survey research and statistical modeling. Familiarity with machine learning, and causal inference a plus. This will be demonstrated by having at least 5 years of experience working with large data sets to solve real-world business challenges
- Experience managing teams to complete products within scope and on time
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision makers
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, business, etc.) or Masters in Business Administration
- Expertise in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Experience working for a consulting, services, or advisory firm
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
- Experience presenting completed work or pitching new work to executive audiences
At Lumere, we have the ambitious goal to improve the way our healthcare system delivers medical care through access to relevant clinical evidence health systems needed to make better decisions. If every system in the country uses our industry-leading technology and tools, we can improve the quality and efficiency of patient care, and fundamentally change the way health systems operate.
Today, hundreds of health systems around the U.S. use our tools and we want to add second-to-none talent like you to help achieve our goal.
We’re a growth-stage startup focused on building a world-class company, and are backed by leading healthcare investors.
Why join Lumere?
- Make a direct impact on our healthcare system, working with hospitals that are leading real change in the industry.
- Work in a fast-paced environment, with no shortage of responsibility.
- Work with a laser-focused team that seeks the frontier, is obsessed about impact, comes here to do their best work, welcomes respectful debate, and succeeds as one team.
Applied Data Science Lead
What you will be doing:
As our Applied Data Science Lead, you will manage a team responsible for building and maintaining the predictive models that power our product and business. You’ll work directly with Product Managers, Engineers and our Director of Clinical Data to conceptualize and develop new applications of our data that further our evidence-based mission to improve healthcare.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated individual with excellent communication and technical leadership skills and a proven track record of delivering robust and actionable models. He or she will be experienced with a wide variety of data science techniques, tools and platforms, able to articulate the benefits of each and appropriately balance speed of delivery with accuracy and maintainability.
- Managing a cross-functional team of data science and engineering professionals
- Improving the quality of our existing models; ongoing maintenance of our modeling infrastructure
- Presenting outputs to stakeholders for feedback and iteration
- Working with product management and engineering to integrate predictions into our solutions
- 4+ years experience in quantitative analysis; 2+ years of data science, predictive modeling, or applied statistics experience; Masters or PhD in a quantitative field preferred
- Strong product instincts and a demonstrated ability to learn the domain at hand, communicate, and work cross-functionally
- Extensive experience with a wide variety of different algorithms and an ability to communicate effectively about the trade offs between approaches
- Experience with our existing stack (R/Python, scikit-learn, tensorflow)
- Exposure to natural language processing techniques and distributed compute technologies such as Apache Spark or Hadoop
- Strong SQL proficiency and a working knowledge of both relational database/warehouse technologies (MySQL, Postgres, Redshift) as well as database performance considerations
- Working knowledge of professional software development tools and processes (Scrum, git, etc.)
- Organized, highly motivated individual with excellent collaboration, project management and problem-solving skills
About 270 Strategies
270 Strategies is a next-generation grassroots firm that is redefining how companies, causes, and organizations build winning campaigns and achieve big things. Our company was born of the basic belief that grassroots campaigns can change the world. Unlike traditional consulting firms that focus exclusively on marketing, 270 Strategies believes effective, 21st century campaigns must integrate people-centered, grassroots organizing with smart digital strategies and a data-driven approach. The 270 team uses the lessons learned after years of leading the Obama organization to help clients connect with key constituencies, design innovative programs, and put their ideas into action.
270 Strategies is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to clients and constituents. 270 Strategies is an equal opportunity employer and it is 270 Strategies’ policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.
Data and Analytics Director
270 Strategies is looking for a Data and Analytics Director to build and manage a growing data team. You will be responsible for developing innovative, data-driven strategies for our clients, as well as setting the vision for 270 Strategies’ data and analytics services. You should believe in the power of grassroots organizing, as well as the integration of digital and offline organizing.
The ideal candidate will be a creative, collaborative self-starter with strong leadership skills, attention to detail, and 4-7 years of experience with analytics and data management. You should be excited to help campaigns, causes, and companies do big things in 2018 and beyond.
What you will do:
- Manage 2-3 data and analytics staff directly.
- Develop innovative campaign strategies integrated with 270 Strategies’ strategic organizing engagements.
- Guide clients as their build independent, in-house data analytics programs.
What your team will do:
- Provide in-depth analysis of client data sets, starting with identifying what data clients have available to them.
- Offer clients recommendations, training and setup on CRMs and other data tools, as well as building reporting systems.
- Support client engagements to ensure data-driven strategy is at the heart of client work.
Skills and experiences that you’ll bring Qualifications:
- 4-7 years of experience with analytics and data management, or equivalent education experience.
- Strong leadership experience, and the proven ability to lead a team.
- Ability to coach others in how to execute a data program.
- Experience managing multiple complex, fast paced projects at once, and proven ability to produce materials within a deadline.
- Enthusiasm for a team-based work environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A sense of humor, a willingness to embrace both your own quirks and others’, and a passion for progressive issues.
- Knowledge of political campaigns is a plus, but not required.
Additional technical experience:
- Experience with at least 2 of the following and an ability to coach others on them: Microsoft Excel, SQL, Python, or R.
- Experience as an administrator for at least 2 of the following: VAN, BSD, NationBuilder, Salesforce, PDI, Action Network.
- Experience interpreting and implementing models for the purposes of targeting and understanding audiences, although you do not need to be proficient at building models.
- Ability to assess disparate data sets and systems, then bring them together in to a cohesive analysis.
- Experience with digital analytics is a plus, but not required.
This position will be based in either Chicago, IL, or Washington, D.C., and will require some travel. The starting salary range is $85k-$110k, and will be determined commensurate with experience. This position also includes a generous benefits package, with 401k contributions, high quality health insurance, flexible leave policy, and the potential for bonus.
We believe in the value of financial freedom and independence, and want to empower people across the globe by leveraging the possibilities bitcoin provides. Whether it’s bringing financial services to the unbanked, making advancements in the future of money, or providing new capabilities that were previously thought impossible, we put our passion into our work and it shows.
We achieve these goals by focusing on the experience we provide our users. We measure success by the ease with which new and non-technical users can get started using our products, and by the high level of security we are able to offer behind the scenes. Many believe bitcoin can be easy or secure, but not both; we have broken the mold and proved that is not true.
We offer all of this through our iPhone and Android apps, and are excited to have you experience the power of bitcoin in the palm of your hand.
BRD is a venture-backed company with customers in over 150 countries.
Android, IOS, Backend Engineers